Albuquerque’s birthday bash for New Mexico will provide entertainment, food and fun on June 16th
To celebrate New Mexico’s 100 years of statehood, Albuquerque will host the state’s largest birthday party. The Centennial Summerfest on June 16, 2012 will provide diverse and exciting entertainment. Historically themed pavilions, free concerts, delicious food, a car show and more are sure to provide a true Albuquerque and New Mexico experience.
“This is the largest event in New Mexico to commemorate our state’s one hundred years of statehood. Centennial Summerfest is a chance for visitors to—in one day—experience the rich cultural history of New Mexico,” said Albuquerque Mayor Richard J. Berry.
Stroll through themed pavilions to sample the flavors of Albuquerque and New Mexico’s history:
- The Hispanic Heritage Pavilion features flamenco, mariachis and authentic New Mexico music from artists including Albuquerque’s own Al Hurricane and Gonzalo.
- The Native American Pavilion will be adjacent to Albuquerque’s iconic KiMo Theatre featuring traditional and modern Native American music, food and crafts.
- The World Beat Pavilion will showcase global music and dance from local groups. Enjoy Taiko drumming and music from groups like Son Como Son and Wagogo.
- The Rock and Rockabilly Pavilion and Car Show will pay a tribute to the “Mother Road” by revisiting a time of Rock ‘n Roll, poodle skirts and classic cars. Listen to live music by groups like The Fireballs, New Mexico’s first hit-making Rock ‘n Roll band.
- At the Territorial Village visitors will get a glimpse of New Mexico’s frontier days. Sample authentic food at the old time chuck wagons while being entertained by country artists like Roy “Dusty” Rogers, Jr. and Will Banister.
A Kid’s Fun Zone will provide free entertainment for the whole family. An arts and craft market featuring artists from across New Mexico, and a live musical depicting the history of New Mexico will be shown in the KiMo Theatre at 7 p.m.
The event’s highlight will be a free concert by Grammy® Award-winning performers, Los Lobos on the Main Stage at 8:00 p.m.
For a complete list of events and performers, visit abqsummerfest.com.
The mission of the Albuquerque Convention and Visitors Bureau is to stimulate economic growth by marketing Albuquerque as a visitor and convention destination. For information, visit www.ItsATrip.org , www.facebook.com/visitAlbuquerque or www.twitter.com/see_albuquerque .